27.1.10

The Road Not Taken

Op mijn schrijfblog horen – vind ik vanaf vandaag – niet alleen mijn schrijfsels, maar ook alles dat mij inspireert tot schrijven.

De laatste tijd luister ik ontzettend veel naar Simon & Garfunkel. Dankzij de film Watchmen (prachtig; nog nooit eerder zo’n realistische superheldenfilm gezien) ben ik helemaal into deze hippiemeneren met hemeltergend mooie liedjes. The Sound of Silence, Scarborough Fair/Canticle, The Boxer, echt vre-se-lijk mooi allemaal. En perfect om bij te schrijven over bomen en bos en kou en jong-zijn.

Ik luisterde net naar S&G’s The Dangling Conversation:
And you read your Emily Dickinson 
And I my Robert Frost 
And we note our place with bookmarkers 
That measure what we've lost 
Like a poem poorly written 
We are verses out of rhythm 
Couplets out of rhyme 
In syncopated time 
And the dangling conversation 
And the superficial sighs 
Are the borders of our lives 

Dus ik op zoek naar Robert Frost, die een Amerikaanse dichter blijkt te zijn die leefde van 1874 tot 1963. En vond dit:
The Road Not Taken (1916)
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, 
And sorry I could not travel both 
And be one traveler, long I stood 
And looked down one as far as I could 
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 

Then took the other, as just as fair, 
And having perhaps the better claim, 
Because it was grassy and wanted wear; 
Though as for that the passing there 
Had worn them really about the same, 

And both that morning equally lay 
In leaves no step had trodden black. 
Oh, I kept the first for another day! 
Yet knowing how way leads on to way, 
I doubted if I should ever come back. 

I shall be telling this with a sigh 
Somewhere ages and ages hence: 
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— 
I took the one less traveled by, 
And that has made all the difference 



1 opmerking:

  1. Hoera, weer wat te lezen! Dank voor de tip. Deze dichter kende ik nog niet. Oh, er zijn er nog zo veel om te ontdekken...Soms is het echt balen dat het leven zo kort is. Misschien dat de mens daarom wel hoopt op een leven na de dood?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen